Monday, February 1, 2010

Closing Time

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

Project 365: Feb 1

I've only lived in my Ukrainian Village apartment for 2 1/2 years but so much has changed in that time... businesses that opened the same time we moved in have now closed. Dominicks grocery store is obviously still going strong, but the popular brunch spot JAM replaced the short-lived Dodo, piccolo gelato shut its doors last autumn, several florists went out of business, a small Ukrainian grocery store, a coffee shop... the list goes on. Sadly today I found out that one of my beloved bakeries, located only three blocks from my apartment has now closed, without any warning. Sweet Cakes bakery had THE best blueberry scone I've ever tasted, they also had mini cupcakes in flavors like mint chocolate chip and last year my surprise birthday cake was from there... to be honest I'm not sure how people can live in a place for DECADES and not get upset about how things change. I'm all for progress but it's like an old friend is gone now.

1 comment:

  1. I tried to go to Sweet Cakes last week - I couldn't believe it! What a bummer. I know what you mean about things changing - I went back to my home town a few years ago to take some pictures and I wished I hadn't - it was really hard. My Mom, however, who grew up in that town too - wasn't at all phased by the changes! Go figure.

    ReplyDelete